[Localization] Tetum localisation

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Oct 12 04:32:32 EDT 2009

On 10/12/2009 08:18 AM, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> Hi
>
> I  have joined this list and done a bit of localization of Bislama (Vanuatu) to learn about the localization process. A few questions:
>
> There doesnt seem to be a Tetum (Tetun) project. This is the first language of the people of Timor Leste (East Timor) with 800,000 speakers. Two classes (50 XO's) are a planned for a December deployment.
>
> I presume there's no downside in requesting a Tetum project be commenced?
>
> What is the cycle time for the localization to appear in the next XO build?
>
> Can we patch an existing build to include a new localization?
>
> To get a feel for localization, I have been adding strings to Pootle for Bislama using a dictionary, My thought was that if I could do the easy 25% it might prompt someone to do the hard 75%. Is there a downside to leaving my incomplete and possibly inept efforts on Pootle?
>
> I found somewhere a suggestion as how to prioritise the order in which you translate but have since lost it. Is there any point in doing the 082 and 084 strings if the next release is 086?

The main question is, what version of Sugar you run on the XOs. If you
use the native olpc builds you are stuck with 0.82 afaik. If you use a
recent build generated by soas you can use 0.86.

Activities like TA run on 0.82-0.86 so here you can just translate the
latest activity version.

Regards,
    Simon