[Localization] Mongolian/English Keyboard switching

Cris canderson at laptop.org
Tue Sep 2 16:48:42 EDT 2008

Hello,

Just something I have noticed will need to be addressed for Mongolia.
When the pilot was conducted in January of this year, the 1000 laptops
that were deployed did not have Mongolian keyboards.  With the new OS
builds that have come out since then, Mongolian keyboard support has
been added (and the new laptops arriving have Mongolian keyboards).
However, there are 1000 kids that have laptops that can only write
English.  Is it possible that someone has come up with a script that
replaces the keyboard config file and allows them to do switching like
the newer keyboards? The config file is located in
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard

Right now, the config file looks like this:

 XKB_MODEL="olpc"
 XKB_LAYOUT="us"
 XKB_VARIANT="olpc"
 KEYTABLE="us"

And needs to look like this (for them):

 XKB_MODEL="olpc"
 XKB_LAYOUT="us,mn"
 XKB_VARIANT="olpc2,olpc"
 KEYTABLE="us"

I imagine the easiest way for the team in Mongolia is going to be
putting the script file online and passing down instructions on how to
retrieve and run it.  Any other, better ways?

Cris Anderson