[Localization] New draft layout for Khmer keyboard: Feedback wanted

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Thu Oct 16 02:49:01 EDT 2008

Sayamindu Dasgupta escribió:
> I just uploaded a new version of the draft at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Sayamindu/Khmer_Keyboard_Draft

This is a massive improvement over the previous version, and much better
than my own suggestion.

> The general principle is like:
>
> a) only one character of the US (qwerty) layout is shown on the keys
> b) the character on the top left of the keys is generated in the Khmer
> mode through the Alt-Gr keys
>
> This is based on the standard layout proposed by the National ICT
> Development Authority of the Royal Government of Cambodia (NiDA) -
> more at http://www.khmeros.info/drupal/?q=en/node/39

In particular, the PDF at
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/khmer/KhmerKeyboard_NiDA_V1.0.pdf?download
is very useful as a reference to compare against your latest proposal
for the XO.  (I believe that the general principle (b) you describe
above is actually explained graphically, in Khmer, on that page).

I appreciate that your new layout is as close to the NiDA layout as is
physically possible on the XO (the only moved key is the
backslash/vertical bar (\|) key) and it is certainly desirable to make
the differences from this standard as small as possible.

As much of an improvement as this is over the previous versions, I would
make a few comments:

1. General principle (a) is violated by a few keys (and this is true on
the NiDA layout as well): specifically on the hyphen/underscore (-_)
plus/equals (+=) and backslash/vertical bar (\|) both Latin-mode symbols
are shown in the lower-left corner.

Especially since the equals and backslash are already shown in the upper
right (as these characters are accessible from Khmer mode via AltGr),
and the hyphen and underscore are so similar (without context, their
representations are equivalent, differing only in placement and scale),
I think it would be clearer to just have hyphen, plus, and vertical bar
in the lower left corners of these keys.  I don't think that the fact
that plus and vertical bar are the shifted Latin symbols is an issue, as
this is already true of the tilde (~) key - I'm not sure if that key
generates both back-quote and tilde, but I would expect that it does.
In any case the shifted (capital) letters are used on the alphabetic
keys, and to a Khmer child, there is probably little reason to expect
'G' and 'g' (for example) to be on the same key.

Note that I am not suggesting any change to the software key mapping -
merely the removal of extra symbols from the keys so that all of them
have only one symbol in the lower left corner.

If you don't want to remove these extra symbols from the lower left
corner, at least consider moving the backslash and vertical bar apart a
little bit, and adjusted so that the two characters have the same
baseline and top (currently the backslash is slightly lower) - this is
purely an aesthetic suggestion.

2. Along the same general lines, if the shifted Latin symbol is shown in
the lower-left corner of the key for tilde, plus, and vertical bar, it
would also make sense to do so for the comma/left-angle-bracket (,<) and
period/right-angle-bracket (.>) keys.  Currently the angle brackets are
not shown, although the period and comma are duplicated on the
upper-left.  Placing the angle brackets in the lower left corners allows
all the Latin mode symbols generated by the key to appear on it.  Again,
I don't think shifted/non-shifted display is an issue - if both symbols
are on the key, children (and adults unfamiliar with QWERTY) will
quickly learn which ones require the shift key in Latin mode - and for
those who are used to the standard QWERTY keyboard, everything will be
where they expect it when they use it, even if the physical placement on
the key is a bit different.

3.  I am an absolute novice at Khmer script, but on the NiDA PDF, the
apostrophe (') key shows the Khmer "prime" (o') and "double prime" (o")
marks are right justified above the placeholder whereas on your XO
layout they are left-justified.  I've no idea if this is significant or
not, but it might be worth checking.

4. Recalling an earlier comment about Khmer text for various
shift/modifier keys, you have placed a lot of Khmer on the space key -
is there any reason (other than space issues) not to have Khmer on the
keys which lack any symbol and have only Latin text?  In particular,
adding ឆស់ ្ល (I think I cut&pasted that right) to AltGr.  And having some
kind of symbol or Khmer text for the Erase key would also be useful.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com