[Localization] New draft layout for Khmer keyboard: Feedback wanted

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:12:12 EDT 2008

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am curious how you will handle the 5 glyphs on the ESC key. Also,
> why the <-- on the erase key? It is not standard. If you want a
> graphic, the <X] graphic would be more usual. Finally, has it been
> considered to add Khmer to the labels of the Ctrl, Alt, Tab, Shift,
> Enter, and Erase keys as is "standard" in Cambodia?

The layout proposal I received initially had the back-arrow on the
erase key. I finally managed to get the NiDA standard PDF document
from http://www.khmeros.info/drupal/?q=en/node/399 and I've uploaded
the new draft based on that at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Sayamindu/Khmer_Keyboard_Draft

It's quite different from what we have been doing so far, but it looks
like the NiDA standard is quite widespread (I hear that they are even
printed on school textbooks), so I think it is best to go with that.

I don't think we will be able to print additional Khmer text on the
Ctrl/Shift/Alt/Alt-Gr keys (except for maybe the Enter key).

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta