[Localization] Spanish wiki page to lang-xx

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Tue May 13 19:02:13 EDT 2008

There is one major barrier, and it's cultural.

"politeness and obedience are the main qualities ... there is high
importance placed  on the established hierarchy of authority ... and
subordination ... there is a reluctance to say or do anything more than
what is asked of them, not necessarily due to ignorance or lack of
interest but out of respect and politeness ... "
Quoting the Eduvision report on OLPC in Ethiopia, referring to students
  My personal experience is that the same is true of teachers in the
places I have known.

I think it will be totally powerful, and will do wonders to prove the
model is indeed right when we get teachers to participate.  I believe
success in that area should be the something to prioritize effort on.

 From a practical point of view they need to experience in having the
wiki be of importance, so we need to get across that basic point.  And
obviously they will need to learn how to participate, as soon as we
convince them it's the right thing to do.

How?  Personally I believe that we ought to eat our own catfood.  When
contents in the XO can motivate and train to use wikis, then we have our
job done.  Other means (talks, conferences, books, cattle prods)  do not
prove our model is viable in making change happen.

The medium is the message and all that.

Anybody knows an "intro to wiki use" page we can point our teachers to?

Yama