[Localization] OLPC website translation

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:15:13 EDT 2008

Walter,

I would be very interested in seeing the PERL scripts and makefiles, if they
could be made available.  I can usually hack my way out of a paper
bag in PERL if I have my copy of the llama book nearby.  I'm not interested
in taking on web-master duties for www.laptop.org.  I really hope someone
internal will take up that, it's a significant lost opportunity to
demonstrate competence at content translation management if that site is
left in it's current state, I would however be willing to discuss/share
ideas with someone who wants to take on that task.  I'm not likely to
undertake moving all the content from User:Felice space either, but at least
I can see it there.

I am mostly interested in documenting full process of content generation
from scraping text (probably wget) to simple HTML markup to i18N version of
markup + .pot file to localized versions.  I'm hoping to harvest some good
basic health content from sites like UNESCO, WHO and NIH where the content
quality and copyright-free status is unquestionable and primary issue is
reduced to i18n/l10n.  I have more than adequate grasp of subject matter and
I'm married to a professional medical writer, it's the ill-defined techy
bits that are the barrier for me at this point.

Sayamindu, thanks for the offer of the POT files, I may take you up on it,
but at this point, I can see enough examples on the wiki to answer my
questions about valid POT format creation.  I may well have questions about
validating POT files or importing POT into Pootle at some point, but I'm
just walking this step-by-step for now and trying to document as I go along,
so I'm trying to take small bites.

cjl