[Localization] Idea fo GSoC: Sugar adaption for the Nasa ethnic community

Santiago Ruano Rincón santiago at unicauca.edu.co
Sun Mar 23 20:31:26 EDT 2008

Hi,

(sorry for the cross-posting, I'm trying to catch-up a mentor for this
idea for GSoC, further discussion should be held in gsoc list, thanks)

In Colombia, my country, as others American nations, numerous Amerindian
groups still are present. One of those groups is the Nasa community [1],
which inhabits in the  south-western Colombian Andes.

The Nasa nation has been an oral-tradition culture, Nasa Yuwe (Nasa
language) wasn't written until some years ago. Right now, its writing is
possible thanks to a unified alphabet, its 32 vowels and 37 consonants
could give you an idea of Nasa Yuwe's richness and complexity.

This culture is in danger of disappearing, Nasa people is running some
efforts and campaigns to prevent that. Education plays an essential
role, it has a bilingual approach, and children learn in schools Nasa
Yuwe writing and Nasa activities.

Agriculture is the Nasa main activity, even that, Nasa people use some
ICT devices, mobile phones, a limited number of computers, etc.

Traditional Computers' interface was conceived for office working
people, the desktop, files, folders, recycle bins and so on, used in the
interface are not familiar to Nasa people.

Some of them believe that it would be possible to transform the PC to
make it more suitable for its culture, and use the PC as a tool that
support the cultural preservation processes. That why this idea is for.

Sugar's interface is great for children, (and not-so-young children,
like me ;) ), and I think Nasa children and maybe adults could have a
more suitable version, a version that includes cultural elements.

Some initial thought about this:

* The Sugar donut could be replaced by a rhombus shape, a very important
element in the Nasa World view.
* Community is very important for Nasa people, they don't control
information access, their PC use to don't have passwords. We coulda make
emphasis on collaborative features of Sugar/OLPC.
* Nasa people prefer don't "humanized" pictures. Evaluating the current
icons might be needed.

An example of a word-guessing game, designed taken into account cultural
aspects is described in Chapter 5 of [2] (in Spanish, screenshots could
give an idea to non-Spanish speakers).

A further goal would be to extend the localization concept, go beyond
language and get some elements for a cultural-adaptive Sugar.

The idea was born due a failed attempt to localize a desktop environment
to Nasa Yuwe, to reduce the Nasa people's digital gap, but it has been
realized that programmers' cultural gap need to be reduced first. Some
information about that previous work can be found in [3].

About me, I am engineer in electronics and telecommunications from the
Universidad del Cauca (the department where the most of Nasa people
inhabits), Colombia. Right now, I'm pursuing my Master Research in
Human-Computer Interaction in Télécom Bretagne, France.

One warranty for finishing the idea, it's that it'll be part of my final
research project. I'll spend around 7 hours per day in the project this
summer.

I'd travel in the late September to Colombia to test the outcome.

[1] http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasa_people
[2] http://people.debian.org/~santiago/inasac/INasaC_pdfs.tar.gz
[3] http://people.debian.org/~santiago/inasac/

All comments, questions and ideas welcome.

With best regards,

Santiago