[Localization] Problem: 2 translations for 1 string

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:41:17 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:48 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2008, at 18:48 , Alexander Todorov wrote:
>  > http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Contexts
>

>  This describes exactly the problem we're facing with Etoys. Looks like
>  we need to support contexts in Squeak ... unless someone has a better
>  idea?
   Not better idea , but we would need to rethink of dividing 'etoys'
translation domain into smaller (and not too small !!) pieces, that
could makes the conflict less likely (I am not sure if no conflict we
have).
And that should make life easier for many of translators and Sayamindu
as a pootle admin :-)

   To me, while the run-time behavior of gettext looking up
translation by context is fine,
   how and what to specify for context in source code actually seems not clear.

  + At the time when source code is being written by developer with
limited insight on various languages,
  it would be difficult for developer to decide whether context is
really needed for some phrase to distinguish it against other
occurrence.
  But I don't think we want to specify context to every phrases.
  + We can specify any string as context, but some etoys specific
guideline would be needed for what to specify.

   I would like to hear insight from someone with actual experience...

Cheers,
 /Korakurider