[Localization] Localization for Haiti (Kreyol)

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Sun Mar 9 18:15:19 EDT 2008

Marvin Demuth wrote:

> >  Jude Augusma is complete with the Pootle translations
> >  and has started on Etoys.

Edward Cherlin replied:
> Good work. But aren't XO-Core and XO-Bundled higher priority?
> Particularly since they involve 3,653 strings altogether rather than
> the 22,689 for Etoys.

I'd agree with Edward that Etoys is probably the last one to try to
localize (especially as it is such a huge amount of work).  I'd suggest
working on XO-Core and Terminology (which is still 72% untranslated),
especially as entries in Terminology will be displayed as hints in
Pootle while translating other strings that contain the terminology
words/phrases, which helps keep the translation consistent (e.g. current
pootle.po for Kreyòl has Imèl, Emèl, and Imail as translations for Email
- the first seems the most likely, although I'm just guessing).

Something else that would probably be a big help for Jude as well would
be the proof-of-concept feature that Sayamindu implemented, where in
addition to displaying the original English and the target translation,
the translation into the language being used for Pootle itself is
displayed alongside the hints.  The original motivation for this was to
provide Quechua speakers with no English the ability to translate by
displaying the Spanish translation alongside, but I suspect that Jude
would find having a French translation alongside quite helpful.  While
Kreyòl is of course quite different from French in many ways, the French
translations would provide useful context and (especially for technical
terms) I suspect a lot of the vocabulary used would be pretty similar
(e.g. Chat [en] -> Discuter [fr] -> Diskute [ht]).

I understand that Sayamindu's proof-of-concept is just something that
was hacked in quickly, but if there's anyway this could be added to the
running Pootle server while a better implementation is developed, I
think that many people would find it quite useful.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com