[Localization] msguniq conflict markers committed to act-server .po files

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Thu Mar 6 17:07:31 EST 2008

I wrote (to C. Scott Ananian):
>> I noticed in your commit yesterday that a lot of the language .po files
>> (bg, de, fr, it, and probably others) have msguniq conflict markers in
>> them, e.g.:
>>
>> +# The is the 'laptops.dat' file which is created by the "collection
>> (usb) key": http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activation_and_Developer_Keys
>>  #: oats/request/views.py:72
>>  #, fuzzy
>>  msgid "Collection file"
>> -msgstr "Zeitpunkt der Aktion"
>> +msgstr ""
>> +"#-#-#-#-#  django.po (act-server 1.0)  #-#-#-#-#\n"
>> +"Zeitpunkt der Aktion\n"
>> +"#-#-#-#-#  django.po (act-server 1.0)  #-#-#-#-#\n"
>> +"Collection Datei"
>>
>> These really need to be removed (and resolved, probably in favor of
>> latest version on Pootle) - otherwise the localization will be pretty
>> messy looking and incomprehensible.

C. Scott Ananian replied::
> Agreed.  There were four or so instances like this, which had some
> existing translations from the django project, but also had some
> existing Pootle translations.  I resolved the ones I could figure out,
> but I figured the best approach to the others was to upload the messy
> versions and have the Pootle users figure out which is correct.  All
> such translations are marked fuzzy.  It doesn't seem that Sayamindu
> has installed the latest .POT file for act-server yet, though.  (
> https://activation.laptop.org/static/django.pot )
>
> The only translation I expect to work on the running act-server
> currently is Spanish, so I wasn't terribly concerned by the merge
> markers (yet)

While this may be a reasonable approach, I wonder if there might be
complications in the process of merging your versions (with the conflict
markers) with the existing translations on Pootle (possibly exacerbated
by other, mostly cosmetic, changes to the msgid strings).  But Sayamindu
can probably address this issue best.

In any case, I'm cc'ing this to the localization list so that
translators for the various languages are alerted that when Pootle is
next updated from your act-server repository, there are likely to be
these conflict markers which will need cleanup.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com