[Localization] [Important] Translating strings for the ActivationServer

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Thu Mar 6 09:56:04 EST 2008

Javier Rodriguez writes:
> My comments INSIDE the lines with GREEN color...

The green color is dependent on the mail reader or whatever each person
uses to read this list, but I was able to identify your (very helpful)
comments.

> *Sounds much better, more sense: "Usted no tiene autorizacion para pedir
> ACTIVACIONES de este tipo"

This does seem quite reasonable.

> Las ACTIVACIONES pedidas ESTAN listas para descargar.
>
> *Please don't argue about "son" and "estan".  The verb "are" has two
> meanings in spanish, according to the fact that is permanent "son" or
> temporal "estan".  No spanish native language person would say "son
> listas para descargar" (sorry if it sounds pretentious).

It's dumb-ass (pardon my French) mistakes like this that I (a native
English speaker) make that are the reason I marked a lot of my
translations as "fuzzy."  I do know the difference between ser and estar
- I just often forget to use the right one - and you are entirely
correct.  I will note that it should be "Las activaciones pedidas están
listas para descargar" with tilde (accent) on están (I'm not trying to
out-pretentious you here :-).

> *Historia de solicitudes DE activaciones y claves
> (fix that "para"...it is not correct)
> *
>
>> > (in this case, "key" refers to developer keys - I am assuming that the
>> > English should be parsed as "(lease and key) request" rather than
>> > "lease and (key request)" - and using "solicitud para" rather than
>> > "solicitud de")
>> >

> *Nope.  In any case that "para" is correct.  If I say that sentence in
> front of my parents they will believe that the "solicitudes" are for
> some person named "concesiones" and other person named "claves"

Thanks for this correction - I was using para in some other cases to
avoid "A de B de C y D" and confirmed that there were many thousands of
web pages using e.g. "solicitud para visa" but if it sounds odd to a
native speaker it's better to avoid this.

Again, many thanks for your very helpful suggestions and corrections,
which I have incorporated into the current Pootle translation.  If you
have some time to check out the fuzzy strings on Pootle
(https://dev.laptop.org/translate/es/act_server/django.po?translate=1&fuzzy=1&editing=1&blank=1
- you'll need to create a free Pootle account) that would be very
helpful; there are surely other dumb-ass mistakes I have made (and
perhaps others doing the translation - not just me - have made subtle
errors that would jump out at a native speaker).

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com