[Localization] Testing 200 XO's in two weeks time for Nepal's pilot

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 21:49:13 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>  Nepal should receive its shipment of 200 XO's in roughly 14 days from
>  today.
>
>  Here is the Rough Test Plan I have in mind
>
>  1. Boot into firmware and run test-all
>  2. Load customized image based on 656 build
>  3. Test localization on each XO (read Nepali, type in Nepali)

You're talking about testing the keyboard layout and fonts. What about
localization of software?

According to Pootle, except possibly for XO-Bundled (89%), the Nepali
localization is not in good shape. The rest of the modules are less
than half translated, and Etoys less than 1%.

Sayamindu, how many people do we have working on this? What
organizations are involved? Why aren't there more?

>  4. Test that basic activities like browse, E-Paati, EToys work
>  5. Associate XO's w/ school server via active antenna, test basic school
>  services, cache, moodle, file downloads, chat
>  We will have two pilot schools. One w/ 110 students and the other w/ 50
>  students.

And 40 spares? Any idea what you want to do with them?

>  Notes: These XO's may have been tested thoroughly at the factory but I
>  would prefer to at least run the firmware's "test-all" command after the
>  XO's arrive in Nepal. I have been a sysadmin for about 10 years and I
>  have always run some kind of diagnostics on new hardware before I put it
>  into production.

Quite right.

>  Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
>

>  --