[Localization] [Grassroots-l] Volunteer opportunities : the example of the "francophony"

s.boutayeb at free.fr s.boutayeb at free.fr
Sun Jun 29 02:53:08 EDT 2008

Selon Seth Woodworth <seth at isforinsects.com>:

> The french translation of the Sugar UI are well advanced:
> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/fr/ states the average level of translation
> to be at 86%.  This is a great start and the amount of time required to
> finish translation completely is nil.
>
> If any of you speak french, please consider helping the translation ongoing
> at https://dev.laptop.org/translate/fr/
>

> Seth

Yes, we have achieved most of the work and have focussed our efforts on the UI
and the activities. The remaining untranslated strings belong to Etoys and
Scratch.

We have thus 4 main issues to be addressed. Other language teams might be faced
with
the same issues.

1. Complete the translation effort
See above. On the other side, some applications/activities should be included in
the localization process in order for the language teams to complete their
effort.

2. Quality Assurance
This said, whe had to revise our translations on an ongoing basis against the
UI. This work is not yet done. For example, some strings don't fit well in the
UI (as it is the case in the "Control panel") and have been reformulated
accordingly). Some other strings have to be revised "on the field" depending on
the usage context : for example the string "Mute" in the "Speakers" box, in the
joyride. A correct comprehension of the real functioning of the XO is very
important and translators should be able to "play with" the UI either through a
LiveCD or better, through a real XO, and ideally through interconnected XOs.

3. Reflect the ongoing software developments
The joyride build is a good example of UI changes reflecting in a change of the
translatable strings (for example, the strings "Favorites view", "Freeform",
"Ring", "List view").  We have to synchronize our translations with the changes
in the UI.

4. The documentation
The documentation (print/online/wiki, etc.) should be included in Pootle too, in
order to enable the shared translation effort that proved successfull for the
UI/activities.