[Localization] Empowering teachers

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Jun 17 05:01:30 EDT 2008

On 17/06/2008, at 1:07 AM, Yama Ploskonka wrote:

> Thoughts on this subject, on _how_ to make it happen?
>

> Clytie Siddall wrote:
>> Hello everyone :)
>
> <snip>
>
>> By the way, as a teacher and community-project officer myself, I
>> think
>> you need to empower the teachers first. Make sure they understand the
>> opportunities they have, and how those tools are going to help them
>> achieve more of their goals.
>>
>> I have often seen excellent advances in teaching tools either mis-
>> used
>> or ignored, because teachers don't understand them, or haven't got
>> time
>> to learn how to use them properly. Let's avoid that trap, by
>> involving
>> teachers in the planning phases, and making sure they have enough
>> time
>> and help to get the most out of what we offer.
>>
>> In some countries, too, we will have to overcome very stilted
>> teaching
>> methods (rote learning, chalk and talk), so we need to allow time and
>> effort for awareness-raising and learning very new ideas/practices.
>> This
>> time and effort always pays off enormously, because you are opening
>> the
>> door to further independent learning, and teaching people how to work
>> together.

Some specific suggestions from what I found worked best in
multicultural community projects:

1. Involve the key community enablers, in this case teachers, very
early on in your planning. Ask them what they are trying to achieve,
and what they need to achieve it. Make it a private session so they
can talk freely about problems and even their own anxiety about change
and technological demands. Listen much more than you talk.

2. Wrap the whole process around the goals and steps they formulate in
that session. Make it clear that if change is going to happen, they
will be driving it. They can set the pace, and will have ample
opportunity to learn about anything new. Set an initial and achievable
goal (e.g. showing them basically how to unpack, plug in and boot a
laptop, then get each teacher to practise it until they get it right
and feel confident about it), and achieve it thoroughly. Reinforce
that success. Anything is achievable if you have the resources, and
the steps aren't too big in between. (A following step would be
getting them to create a lesson plan for passing on those skills. Make
sure there is someone available for backup in the first lessons.)

3. When you finish formulating your community plan, with consulation
with the community, make sure it is public, and make it clear that
anyone can make suggestions or express concerns. Just like farming,
you need to allow for local situations, add more fertilizer here,
prune a bit there, even remove whole trees where they don't flourish.
Everything is adaptable, and success relies on the participation of
the community members. Have the plan displayed in public, and amend it
as you go, showing where the changes occur, attributing them to local
people who suggested or helped with them.

4. Your teacher group will need to acquire some specific technical
skills. Judging from earlier contact, you can also decide if they need
to acquire some more student-centred teaching skills. Then you plan
your train-the-trainer around the skills required. Work with small
groups, privately. There is bound to be one or more teachers who
either display facility with the new skills, or have previous contact
with computers (however small). Use this person or these people to
head up smaller groups, and pass on what they know and learn. I always
emphasize that everybody had to start from the beginning at some
point, and that we all make mistakes: if we don't make mistakes, we
don't learn much. I share personal experience of my own mistakes: I
have quite a repertoire by now. ;)

5. Run your train-the-trainer sessions almost parallel with early
lessons for students. Each train-the-trainer session involves
"homework" where the teacher prepares a lesson plan to pass on what s/
he has learned. Before the next train-the-trainer session, the teacher
will present that lesson, and then discuss what worked, and what
didn't, in that following T-t-T session. This allows for dynamic
learning: you adjust as you go along. You can also find out, this way,
what they are finding most difficult, and spend more time on that.
Don't go on to the next lot of new skills before the first lot is
working and being transferred successfully. This reduces the pressure
for quick but guesswork success, and makes for long-term true
understanding and success.

6. As this process goes on, your teachers will increasingly take
charge of it. When you listen to their suggestions, and act on them,
you are helping them feel less helpless and anxious about change, and
more in control. Get the teachers to help with or even make the
changes they suggest, offering appropriate ways to achieve them.
Ideally, once you leave this community, you want the people you've
trained to be able to continue the process. So they need practice in
doing that, before you leave.

7. Get feedback from the consumers: parents, students, other community
members. Are we still on track with the goals they want to achieve? Do
they have any worries about these changes? Reinforce successes, and
link them with goals (for example, few parents in any region need
reminding that computer skills will give their children better
opportunities, and community leaders are always happy to be reminded
that progress in such a project makes them more independent, and gives
them a greater chance of attracting further development grants in the
future).

8. Last presentation: summarize briefly the goals you have all worked
together to achieve. Have at least one presentation of the new skills
by a local student. Make it clear you believe this community can
continue to build on what they have learnt, and remind them of the
follow-up and feedback mechanisms you have created. Link the current
project to future goals.

9. Follow-up: part of your resources needs to have been allocated to
follow-up: formally, 3, 6, 12 and 36 monthly. Informal feedback should
include email contact and a suggestion/problem mechanism like an issue
tracker. For formal feedback, if possible visit the community and meet
again with the key people, discuss progress. If visiting is not
practical, arrange a videoconference, teleconference etc. Allow time
for unplanned discussion. Check that the community is still on-track
for its goals; if not, find out what the problems are and how they can
be addressed. Advocate for the community if that is needed. By the 36-
month checkup, they should need no further support in this area, and
you both have learnt a lot about how things work for that community,
and how they can make things work in a wider world.

This is probably all basic community-development work, generally-
known, but I'm happy to go into details on any part of it. I'd also
stress that when you're working with rural communities, it's very
important not to give the impression that you know more than they do,
just because you have more formal education and you come from the
city. It can be difficult to break down some of these prejudices
(country people have often been marginalized and patronized by
institutions based in the cities), but I found it helped a lot just to
spend time with people socially, share family stories, talk to people
as an equal (or in the case of elders, with appropriate respect) and
show respect for their own knowledge and understanding. I always felt
I learnt far more from communities I worked with than they did from
me. :)

I hope you don't mind me sharing all this. I also hope it is useful. :)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n