[Localization] Read Etexts now supports Text To Speech

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Tue Jun 10 10:42:42 EDT 2008

Edward,

Ubuntu packages are already available for speech-dispatcher, espeak, and
festival, so it isn't difficult to set up a demo.  You can use apt-get.
You would have to modify a configuration file to use the espeak module
(not espeak-generic) and you would have to start speech-dispatcher by
hand before doing the demo.  There is a way to get it started
automatically, but I never bothered to find out what it is.  The
instructions on the wiki are *close* to being right.  Just substitute
using the espeak module for espeak-generic and don't bother modifying
the espeak config file.

Hemant's RPMs will be specifically for the XO.  Having special RPM's for
the XO is desireable because we don't have a lot of disk space to work
with and the usual package for speech-dispatcher brings in festival and
other stuff that wouldn't be needed.  This isn't a problem for ubuntu or
debian running on a regular PC.

I don't think current speech software is up to saying "wound around the
wound" yet.  I've tested with with "Thuvia, Maid of Mars", "Edison's
Conquest of Mars", and "Triplanetary" and I've been impressed with how
well the software deals with made-up words like you find in science
fiction ("Dusar", "Ptarth"), but I've also heard it pronounce
"micrometer" as "micro meter".  For a kid learning to read I think it
should be OK.  But we have to have realistic expectations.  I would love
for the XO to sound like Hal 9000 ("What do you think you're doing,
Dave?") but I'll settle for Colossus The Forbin Project, which is pretty
much what it sounds like.

I've thought a bit more about highlighting for languages that don't
split words.  I convert my text one page at a time to SSML, using
whitespace, but it should be possible to do just the oppposite: accept a
document already in SSML and convert it to plain text for display.  That
way actual humans could figure out where the words split.

Hemant was going to create a control panel for speech-dispatcher that
allows you to set speech rate, voice used, etc.  I was planning on using
that so I didn't have to provide those options in my Activity.  If that
doesn't work out for some reason I was thinking of swiping one of the
toolbars in the Speak activity and modifying that.  Speech-dispatcher by
default speaks very quickly, which I think is the preference for
visually impaired people.  I slowed it down quite a bit.  Somehow or
other this needs to be adjustable.  Plus I need to get pause and resume
working.

James Simmons