[Localization] Help with starting new languages

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:27:55 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:12 PM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> Hi Edwin,

Edward

> I am part of a team deploying the XO in 21 countries in the Pacific, working
> with Prof Barry Vercoe.

Can somebody with your group put up a list on the Wiki, and make the
corresponding country pages? A number of us are also interested in how
you are accomplishing that. How many more languages will you be
targeting?

> We have done some work already in Solomon Islands
> (needs updating) http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Solomon_Islands and start a
> series of trials in PNG next week, followed by expanded trials in the
> Solomons, Nauru, Kiribati, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Niue.

How is your supply of bilingual computer users from these communities?
Can anybody else help your localization projects?

> I cannot sign up on the Pootle page because the languages I need urgently to
> start work on are not listed.

Actually, that isn't how this works. It's a Wiki. Just add your
languages and your volunteers, and let Sayamindu catch up later.

> These are:
>
> Solomon Islands Pidgin (Pijin)
> Papua New Guinea Pidgin (Tok Pisin)
> Marovo Language (Solomon Islands)

Let me see. Ethnologue says

Solomon Islands. 523,617. National or official language: English. 70
living languages.

Pijin [pis] 24,390
Basic vocabulary is closer to standard English than is Tok Pisin of
Papua New Guinea. Grammar shows Melanesian features. Pronunciation
varies according to local languages. Historically related to Tok Pisin
of Papua New Guinea and Bislama of Vanuatu.

Marovo [mvo] 8,094 South New Georgia Island, Marovo Lagoon, Vangunu
Island, and Nggatokae Island

Papua New Guinea. 5,420,280. Papuan 78%, Melanesian 20%. National or
official languages: Hiri Motu, Tok Pisin, English. 600 islands.
Literacy rate: 32% to 43%.

Tok Pisin [tpi] 121,000 (2003 SIL). 50,000 monolinguals. Mainly in the
northern half of the country, and now well established in Port
Moresby, and into other regions.

Any chance of getting to these others? (Ethnologue.org data)

Ayiwo [nfl] 8,400 Reef Islands, Santa Cruz, Honiara
Baelelea [bvc] 8,800 North Malaita Island
Bilua [blb] 8,740 Vella Lavella Island
Cheke Holo [mrn] 10,840 Santa Isabel Island
Gela [nlg] 11,876 Gela, Florida Islands, Guadalcanal (immigrants), and
Savo Islands
Ghari [gri] 12,119 Guadalcanal Island
Kwaio [kwd] 13,249 Central Malaita Island
Kwara'ae [kwf] 32,433 Central Malaita Island
Lau [llu] 16,937 Northeast Malaita Island
Lengo [lgr] 13,752 Guadalcanal Island
Roviana [rug] 9,871 North central New Georgia, Roviana Lagoon, Vonavona Lagoon
Sa'a [apb] 11,519 South Malaita Island, Ulawa Island, Three Sisters Islands
Talise [tlr] 12,525 Guadalcanal Island, southeast to southwest coast
To'abaita [mlu] 12,572 North Malaita Island

> There is a ticket open, but I am not sure if it was done correctly because
> there is little happening, now 10 days since I started this whilst at the
> Countries Workshop in Boston.
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7099

Ping Sayamindu Dasgupta.

> Please can someone let me know what else I have to do to start upo projects
> for all three countries above. I will then be able to add other volunteers
> to the projects.

Follow the instructions quoted below from the Localization page, and
get all of your administrators and localizers to sign up in the places
specified, and make User: pages. Add the required information to your
ticket. Actually, you probably should have made three tickets, one for
each language, but Sayamindu should be able to figure this out.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/