[Localization] Arabic Projects

Nicholas Bodley nbodley at speakeasy.net
Wed Jul 30 11:35:03 EDT 2008

Nicholas Bodley
Waltham, Mass.
Sent from Speakeasy.net web mail

On Wed Jul 30 11:13 , Khaled Hosny  sent:

>Sugar relays on Pango for text rendering, which in turn handles complex
>scripts (and Arabic in particular) very well, that sugar developers
>don't have to worry about script complexities. Except few bugs in
>AbiWord rendering, I don't think sugar has any problems rendering
>Arabic.

That's very good news! I hope I wasn't cluttering up the l10n list.
I do remember seeing Pango mentioned; now I have a much better idea of what it does.

Somehow, I don't quite know what to think about Sugar running on Windows, where
it would use Uniscribe, more than likely.

>We have few RTL issues in the interface that can be attributed largely
>to the lack of proper RTL handling in HippoCanvas.
>
>Regards,
> Khaled

>--
> Khaled Hosny
> Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team

Best regards,