[Localization] Spanish translation of Etoys?

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:20:18 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero
<dirakx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero
>> <dirakx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > HI Yoshiki and all.

>> > Yeah it seems that these changes are not merged yet. i've asked
>> > sayamindu to
>> > do so,
>> > we will see... the actual status is 35% without translation, i don't
>> > know
>> > what would be the percentage with this merge i hope 100%.
>> >
>> > Etoys is by far the largest to translate ;), (good work by Jose and
>> > Antonio)
>> >

>> Hello,
>> I have merged the existing translations with the ones in
>> merged_es-080610.po
>> The translations in merged_es-080610.po were given precedence (hope that's
>> OK).
>> I have not committed it - Rafael, could you possibly take a look at
>> the file, and if it makes sense, commit it ?
>> Cheers,
>> Sayamindu
>
> Done, thanks Sayamindu. .. now we have only 16% of etoys untranslated to
> spanish.

Congrats!

But have you checked how many translatable phrases do the PO/POT have?

+ The latest pot
(http://etoys.laptop.org/svn/trunk/etoys/po/etoys/etoys.pot)  4432
phrase
+ working version on Pootle at the time I was writing this         = 5101
+ the last version LinEx guys sent
(http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/6911/merged_es-080610.po)
   = 4984

So your Spanish etoys.po is the largest among languages. :-)

Well, your POs have phrases that aren't included in authoritive POT
that Etoys developer generated.
For instances, the POs have strings for DrGeoII, ZooDesktop. Both have
been bundled in LinEx image.

The fact that PO have more phrases than POT is not too bad right now.
so etoys team could go ahead with this as-is for the coming release of
Sugar and Squeakland Etoys.

But please beware that it is a bit inconsistent to current design of
L10n framework and would make confusion.  We will need to address this
in near future.
For instance, DrGeoII have its own PO/POT (see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DrGeo), and strings for DrGeoII in etoys.po
will NOT be used at all.
(Here I am not going to discuss detail. Please feel free to contact me
if you want.)

Cheers
 /Korakurider