[Localization] Translating Wiki pages

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Jul 9 00:23:06 EDT 2008

So I'm translating a bunch of Wiki pages into spanish, as
requesting translation doesn't seem to produce results.
As part of this, I'm building up a phrase library of preferred
translations for different hardware components, etc.

I had started adding these to
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Translating/Spanish_terms
but then found
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Translation_terms
and was told that these wiki pages were deprecated and all
the translation terms had been moved to Pootle.

Pootle seems to be fine with anything that bends to use .po
files (including the OLPC website, evidently.)   But what about
using it's wealth of translation terms for Wiki content ?

How do I both contribute/mine its set of stock phrases ?
--- it took a while to realize embedded controller was
"controlador incrustado".  I might as well share this ---
I didn't see this addresses in the set of slides illustrating
the workflow.

This is not a hypothetical issue, as the wiki pages I'm translating
compose the XO Troubleshooting Guide, which will be needed
in most languages.

Thanks,
wad