[Localization] Etoys

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 21:30:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
> At Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:16:47 -0700,
> Edward Cherlin wrote:
>>
>> It would make sense to me to split out all of the strings in the
>> tutorials and demo projects as one module. After that, it depends on
>> how the rest is structured, which I know very little about. What is in
>> there that we expect children to look at without prompting? What
>> should be available when we get to introducing programming more
>> seriously? Should we translate identifiers in code at all? Can Squeak
>> be modified to show identifier names according to a user-chosen
>> locale? (I know that the answer is Yes in principle, but is it a
>> reasonable task?) We have a proposal to do this in our Python IDE.
>
>  My feeling is that there is no string for tutorials or demo project
> in the po file (or are string for QuickGuides in it?)
   There is NOT for tutorial/demo and also QuickGuides. (see
outstanding tickets #4146, #4147)

   Off Topic: How will we translate QuickGuides?  While I know
translation on runtime is too slow, the prototype could be used to
generate Web or PDF version.  So publishing PO on Pootle might make
sense.

>  The Etoys part and other development part could probably be (more or
> less roughly) split, but are we sure that it is going to the right
> direction?  If the actual problem is Pootle's poor performance, lack
> of prioritizing and grouping, etc., it might be good to fix Pootle
> because Etoys will not be the only system with thousands of phrases.
>
>> > And screenshots that would help understand the UI context.
>> > Maybe this could be passed on to the Pootle devel team.
>>
>> Certainly we and all other localizers need much better support for
>> indicating context, whether in text or images. Maybe even video on
>> occasion. We could do with a way for localizers to add their own
>> comments to an item for the benefit of those to follow.
>
>  Just for the record, but hit alt-, (hold the alt key and press the
> comma key) in Etoys, choose 'open...', and then choose 'Language
> Editor' or 'Language Editor for...'.  In the left or right pane,
> select the phrase in question and press 'where' button.  That will
> show the method that contain the string.  If you know what you're
> doing, you can go ahead and provide translation there, make a po file
> in one way or another and upload and merge it to the Pootle site.
   Also for the record :-)   We have moved to gettext/Pootle ecosystem
and don't maintain LanguageEditor anymore for the recent Etoys.
An example of problems would be that, the listing of translatable
words shown in LanguageEditor is inconsistent to actual Etoys code or
POT.  So I would suggest NOT to use it actually for your translation
work unless you know very well about what I am saying here and how to
workaround.

/Korakurider