[Localization] Etoys

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 12:16:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Bastien <bzg at altern.org> wrote:
> Carlo Falciola <cfalciola at yahoo.it> writes:
>
>> having more smaller files gave much better focus on the strings to be
>> translated increasing performances and accurateness....

It would make sense to me to split out all of the strings in the
tutorials and demo projects as one module. After that, it depends on
how the rest is structured, which I know very little about. What is in
there that we expect children to look at without prompting? What
should be available when we get to introducing programming more
seriously? Should we translate identifiers in code at all? Can Squeak
be modified to show identifier names according to a user-chosen
locale? (I know that the answer is Yes in principle, but is it a
reasonable task?) We have a proposal to do this in our Python IDE.

> And screenshots that would help understand the UI context.
> Maybe this could be passed on to the Pootle devel team.

Certainly we and all other localizers need much better support for
indicating context, whether in text or images. Maybe even video on
occasion. We could do with a way for localizers to add their own
comments to an item for the benefit of those to follow.

I think that capturing screen images should go to the documentation
team, which is used to the need, and  often has experience with
screen-capture tools. I used to write what I call "click-by-click"
guides,  with a shot of every possible screen in an application, and
an explanation of every control. Smalltalk is not suited to this
precise approach, but it still makes sense to capture every static
screen that exposes named controls in anything we expect our users to
see. We will certainly need help from the Squeak/Etoys teams.

> --
> Bastien

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/