[Localization] Beginners troubles

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:08:07 EST 2008

Hi Satyanarayana,

On Jan 18, 2008 4:01 AM, Satyanarayana Murthy Saladi <saladism at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been working on the link (sugar.po ) Sayamindu sent me. I am still
> waiting for Telugu to be opened up in Pootle.
>
> In the mean time here are my 4 questions.
>

> 1) HOW TO FIND CONTEXT or GET SCREEN SHOTS
>

>  #: ../shell/controlpanel/control.py:307
>  msgid "off"
>  msgstr "లేదు "
>  #: ../shell/controlpanel/control.py:309
>  msgid "on"
>  msgstr "ఉ౦ది "
>
>  The words depend on if it is mentioning about the state of radio signal or
> asking user to switch on or off the radio.

Ok - this one is difficult, since this is a command line application
atm (sugar control panel). Here, the context is on as in (radio
on/off) (state).

> #: ../shell/intro/intro.py:163
> msgid "Next"
> msgstr ""
>
> "Next" as in "next friend" or as in "next screen", as the words are slightly
> different in Telugu.

Next screen would be my guestimate. (This is probably the first screen
that comes up when you start the XO for the first time, ie the new
user registration screen).

> 2) WHAT FREEDOMS ARE ALLOWED
>
> #: ../shell/view/BuddyMenu.py:84
> msgid "Remove friend"
> msgstr ""
>
> "friend" is genderless and there are no equivalent genderless words in
> Telugu
> So it will be easier in my native tongue to say equivalent of "remove
> friendship" to make it uncomplicated.
> Is such freedom allowed.

Yes.

> #: ../shell/hardware/keydialog.py:169
> msgid "Authentication Type:"
> msgstr ""
>
> I can find literal translation but the word will not be in common usage
> especilly in the target age group. So can I just use the same word but with
> Telugu script. My  guess work on Bengali translation of same po file
> suggests people already do that.

Yes. In fact, in India, it makes more sense, IMHO, since people
(except for those from the remotest parts) are guaranteed to have some
kind of exposure to English.

> Are there any guidelines as to to how to translate for children. I am
> prepared to help with this if needed as I am your typical user rather than
> developer.

No - but it would be great if people start collating their thoughts
and opinions on the wiki :-).  Feel free to start a page.

> 3) SEARCHING MAILING LIST
>
> Is there a facility to search mailing list to see if similar questions have
> been answered before? It is easy now to just read all posts in archives, but
> might be difficult when it is bigger. I think it is already possible from
> wiki page but the mailing list home page does not say that.

Errm - I don't think there's any straightforward method here. However,
you can use google to search the domain lists.laptop.org (use the

> 4) REPEATING WORDS. Is that normal or needed.
>
> #: ../lib/sugar/graphics/alert.py:168
> msgid "Ok"
> msgstr " "
>
>  #: ../lib/sugar/graphics/alert.py:244
> msgid "OK"
> msgstr ""

This looks like a bug - Ok should be consistent (OK or Ok). I'll file
a ticket for this.

Regarding context, when I used to do translations, I usually tried to
figure it out by actually using the UI (in it's English form), an then
by beta testing the translating UI.

Cheers,
Sayamindu

--