[Localization] Beginners troubles

Satyanarayana Murthy Saladi saladism at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 23:01:48 EST 2008

Hi,
I have been working on the
link<https://dev.laptop.org/translate/am/xo_core/sugar.po>(
sugar.po ) Sayamindu sent me. I am still waiting for Telugu to be opened up
in Pootle.

In the mean time here are my 4 questions.
  <https://dev.laptop.org/translate/am/xo_core/sugar.po>
 1) HOW TO FIND CONTEXT or GET SCREEN SHOTS

#: ../shell/controlpanel/control.py:307
msgid "off"
msgstr "లేదు "
#: ../shell/controlpanel/control.py:309
msgid "on"
msgstr "ఉ౦ది "

The words depend on if it is mentioning about the state of radio signal or
asking user to switch on or off the radio.

#: ../shell/intro/intro.py:163
msgid "Next"
msgstr ""

"Next" as in "next friend" or as in "next screen", as the words are slightly
different in Telugu.

2) WHAT FREEDOMS ARE ALLOWED

#: ../shell/view/BuddyMenu.py:84
msgid "Remove friend"
msgstr ""

"friend" is genderless and there are no equivalent genderless words in
Telugu
So it will be easier in my native tongue to say equivalent of "remove
friendship" to make it uncomplicated.
Is such freedom allowed.

#: ../shell/hardware/keydialog.py:169
msgid "Authentication Type:"
msgstr ""

I can find literal translation but the word will not be in common usage
especilly in the target age group. So can I just use the same word but with
Telugu script. My  guess work on Bengali translation of same po
file suggests people already do that.

Are there any guidelines as to to how to translate for children. I am
prepared to help with this if needed as I am your typical user rather than
developer.

3) SEARCHING MAILING LIST

Is there a facility to search mailing list to see if similar questions have
been answered before? It is easy now to just read all posts in archives, but
might be difficult when it is bigger. I think it is already possible from
wiki page but the mailing list home page does not say that.

4) REPEATING WORDS. Is that normal or needed.

#: ../lib/sugar/graphics/alert.py:168
msgid "Ok"
msgstr " "
 #: ../lib/sugar/graphics/alert.py:244