[Localization] [Etoys] portuguese in pootle

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:13:42 EST 2008

Hi,

On Jan 19, 2008 5:38 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
> I took a look at the Pootle pages today and noticed that it indicates 0%
> for eToys in the Portuguese(Brazil) version:
> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/pt_BR/etoys/
>
> For the European Portuguese version the situation is much better at 51%:
> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/pt/etoys/index.html
  Yes, pt translation was migrated from legacy squeakland release with
bunch of translations for its supported languages.  pt_BR was just
copied from POT and no one working on until now.

> Looking at some of the phrases, however, I can see that this second file
> should really be pt_br instead since things like "file" were translated
> to "arquivo" rather than "ficheiro".
>
> I suppose it is easy enough to just copy one file to the other and so
> jump from 0% to 51% for pt_br, which is important for meeting the
> Update.1 deadline.

 I think how to populate translations is up to the language team.  So
you could discuss with team listed in
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Pootle#Sign-up
  It seems that uploading PO to Pootle doesn't work (when I tested it
Pootle stopped). so you will need to ask localization team or etoys
for help to merge translations and commit to repository.

  I am not sure whether providing pt_br is really important even if
that is same as pt...  You could install better translations onto XO
even after update.1 is released.

>But it seems to me that any changes after that will
> make the two files diverge. I am not familiar with Pootle - does it have
> any kind of inheritance mechanism? The difference between pt and pt_br
> would be so small that dealing with them separately means effectively
> doing all the work twice.
  Unfortunately Pootle doesn't have such feature at this time.

Cheers,
/Korakurider