[Localization] Pootle integration for etoys

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:00:46 EST 2008

Heya Korakurider,

On Jan 11, 2008 5:13 PM, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Sayamindu.
> Thank you for your great work on Pootle !
>
> As I wrote in http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5338#comment:13,
> I think we need to disucss more about Pootle integration for etoys.
>
> (1) I think the only reason etoys want to update directly POs in git
> (without Pootle)  is
> to merge POT changes to POs.
> To resolve conflict between master and local repo, I am imagining a
> couple of options:
>   -- After POs/POT are updated on git master repository by etoys,
>      just pull changes to local repo for pootle.  I think the changes
> will be no frequet
>      so it could be possible to do even if it is executed manually.
>      (ofcourse automation is better if possible )
>   -- If localization team are now merging POT to PO (both in git) for
> other products,
>      we might want to ask you to do in similar way:   (etoys update
> POT in git and you merge)
>
>      How do you think?
>      For products other than etoys, how merge task are executed by whom?

I think all you need to do is to periodically update the POT file and
ensure that it is in Git. That's all. You need not worry about merging
the PO files with the latest POTs as it happens on a regular basis at
the Pootle end. (If you have some high priority string that _must_ go
in, you can ping me/Xavi to do it manually from Pootle's end). So your
second proposition is more attractive to me :-).

> (2) To manage synchorization of git and svn, we need to know
> when and how the changes in Pootle will be pushed to git master.

Well, the ideal workflow is like this:

* The translator translates the strings
* The admin reviews them
* If the admin thinks that the strings are OK, (s)he hits the commit
button in the Pootle web interface, which commits the PO file and
pushes the changes to the git repo at dev.laptop.org

So this is dependant on the admin of the language team.

Cheers,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta