[Localization] Switching between keyboard layouts

Walter Bender walter at laptop.org
Thu Jan 10 11:44:36 EST 2008

As Sayamindu suggests, we simply map the standard X Window System methods
for switching between keyboard symbol tables. What we have done to make it
easier is to assign a key to ISO_Next_Group, ISO_Prev_Group to the "olpc" or
"olpc2" sections we add the the symbol files. This is one of the reasons why
you need to specify the olpc option for your keyboard layout. We typically
assign that mapping to key <I219>, but it could be assigned to any key.

-walter

On Jan 10, 2008 4:17 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Alexander,
> AFAIK, the key used to switch layouts is a special key, found only on
> the XO keyboard[1].
>
> For the emulation images, the method outlined in
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_X11_Keyboard _may_ work (you will have to
> use Alt-Shift to switch between layouts.
>
> Let us if this works - we can put this information in the wiki in that
> case.
> Cheers,
> Sayamindu
>

> [1] http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/keyboard.shtml (the key
> sandwiched between the arrow keys and the enter key)
>
> On Jan 10, 2008 1:54 PM, Alexander Todorov <atodorov at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hello list,
> > I've been playing with an emulated XO to find out how to enable
> > Bulgarian keyboard layout.
> > According to:
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customizing_NAND_images#Keyboard
> >
> > the /etc/sysconfig/keyboard file settings work but I don't know which
> > key to use to switch between layouts.
> >
> > and according to:
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_layouts#Greek_el
> >
> > setxkbmap -layout "bg,us" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle" -variant
> > "phonetic," also does the trick but it's not persistent. After a reboot
> > the settings are gone.
> >
> > Can someone tell me which keys do I use to switch layouts if using the
> > /etc/sysconfig/keyboard file or how do I make setxkbmap persistent (edit
> > xorg.conf ???)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alexander.
> >

> --