[Localization] Switching between keyboard layouts

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 04:17:38 EST 2008

Hello Alexander,
AFAIK, the key used to switch layouts is a special key, found only on
the XO keyboard[1].

For the emulation images, the method outlined in
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_X11_Keyboard _may_ work (you will have to
use Alt-Shift to switch between layouts.

Let us if this works - we can put this information in the wiki in that case.
Cheers,
Sayamindu

[1] http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/keyboard.shtml (the key
sandwiched between the arrow keys and the enter key)

On Jan 10, 2008 1:54 PM, Alexander Todorov <atodorov at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
> I've been playing with an emulated XO to find out how to enable
> Bulgarian keyboard layout.
> According to:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customizing_NAND_images#Keyboard
>
> the /etc/sysconfig/keyboard file settings work but I don't know which
> key to use to switch between layouts.
>
> and according to:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_layouts#Greek_el
>
> setxkbmap -layout "bg,us" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle" -variant
> "phonetic," also does the trick but it's not persistent. After a reboot
> the settings are gone.
>
> Can someone tell me which keys do I use to switch layouts if using the
> /etc/sysconfig/keyboard file or how do I make setxkbmap persistent (edit
> xorg.conf ???)
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander.

Sayamindu Dasgupta