[Localization] Localization for Haiti (Kreyol)

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 03:10:00 EST 2008

Hello all,

On Jan 10, 2008 4:41 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 1:21 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There is a standard French localization, but it needs thousands more
> > > strings translated, mainly for Etoys.
> > >
> > > If you can send some Kreyol speakers our way, please do.
> > >
> > > This raises a question for Pootle management: Could Kreyol localizers
> > > work from the existing French, not just from English? That is, can
> > > Pootle be set up to show the source strings and *two* localizations at
> > > the same time, or do people just have to coordinate in two browser
> > > windows?
> >
> > This would be great, but requires a pootle hack.  ==> not at the moment.
>
> Well, two browser windows isn't great, but will work. Thanks for the response.
>
> > > See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Pootle  Explains the process
> > > http://solar.laptop.org:5080/  Our Pootle server, where it all happens.
> >
> > We should add haitian creyole as a language there.    I just filed a
> > trac ticket for it.

Ack. on the ticket :-). Is there anyone who is willing to take up
admin rights for Kreyol ? I would need such a person to go ahead with
adding a project in Pootle. If anyone is interested, please register
at Pootle and let me know your username.

Also, how many plural forms do Kreyòl have ? Is it the same as in
English, ie, 2 forms (singular and plural) ?

> What language name did you use? I believe that "Kreyol" is the
> accepted name and spelling in Kreyol for Haitian Creole French, and
> that "Aiysyen" is also acceptable.
>
> We also appear to be short Dari (Eastern Farsi) and Pashto, at least,
> for Afghanistan; and Cambodian/Khmer. Would you like to do those
> tickets, too?

We have a very active Pashto team actually :-).
See the stats at https://dev.laptop.org/translate/ps/

Warm regards,
Sayamindu

--