[Localization] localization question about numbers

Yuan Chao yuanchao at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 18:17:34 EST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 1:30 AM, Kent Loobey <kent at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> 1.  Do you use a number system other than base 10 (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) in
> your locality?
The Arabic numbers are widely adopted in Chinese world. Of course, we
have traditional Chinese numerals that are mostly used in official
documents. Similar cases for most CJKV world.

You may also refer to the wikipedia page: (need proper fonts)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerals
The first big table should be enough for you if you are interested.

> 2.  Do your numbers have attributes like gender or type or use?
(see above)

> 3.  Are your numbers displayed in Aribic (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) or are they
> displayed in your local language?
We have half-width (ASCII) and full-width displayed numbers. The
former one is mostly used so there should be of no problem. (Chinese
characters are used to be twice wide as monospace Latin. So for some
cases, double width numbers/alphabets may be used.)

One thing you may need to know that we use 10^4 as a "set" while
western worlds use 10^3. But I guess you don't need to consider here.

> Thank you very much for considering my questions.  I hope, with your help, to
> make an activity that is easily localized to your area.
Also thank you for the efforts.

--
Best regards,
Yuan Chao