[Localization] XOs for Cambodia (was...)

Javier SOLA javier at khmeros.info
Sun Feb 24 21:14:13 EST 2008

Walter Bender wrote
>> There is a government standard Unicode keyboard...
>>

> Can you please send me a pointer to this? (I am by default using the
> standard layout defined by the XKB symbol table that is standard with
> Linux, but as you note, it seems suboptimal.)

I am afraid it is the same. There are vowels that Unicode refused to
include in the table, because they could be constructed with two code
points, but they are quite used standard vowels, and it does not make
sense not to have them in the keyboard. Technology has to solve the problem.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=133361&package_id=164533

>> If you think that this is not necessary, then why is
>> XO doing localization?
>>

> Necessary no. But of course it is better to work with the local
> language, so of course we work with local experts to do so.

This is a strong opinion. It disagrees with most educators in the world
and their experience. You need a lot of data (evaluations) to back up
such opinion.

I have spent the last five years of my life in Cambodia, doing
localization, and designing tools like Pootle o the WordForge
localization Editor, because I know it NOT to be true, because I did try
at the beginning to teach the use of computers in English to Cambodian
students... and it just doesn't work. If this was not true, the
Cambodian Ministry of Education would have never changed to Open Source.

Javier