[Localization] XOs for Cambodia

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 13:49:08 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:47 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> What is the benefit in all of this sniping?

Yes, that's what *I* said.

> There is an existing project in
> Cambodia that uses Free software to build the Cambodian curriculum. GREAT.
> There is a world wide project that aims to bring computers and educational
> software to the children of this world. GREAT.

Exactly. Two excellent educational programs aimed at different age
levels that can happily coexist.

> Now the software developed in Cambodia runs on a different platform. This
> means that a lot of work

A modest amount of work. Any of this software that fits can run on the
XO now. We just need to package it differently. Unicode fonts for
Khmer, keyboard layouts, and rendering software for screen and printer
are all available for all flavors of Linux. I have attached a graphic
of the Khmer keyboard layout for Ubuntu.

> needs doing in order to make the Cambodian
> curriculum to run on the XO. This is a pain. But given that the software is
> already Linux based and freely licensed it is not the drama it could be.

Right.

> So, it was made clear that all the Cambodian software is available for the
> XO to run. It just needs to be made to run it. When the XO is considered to
> be a "one size fits all" environment, you do not do the "little system that
> can" justice. When the XO is unknown to the people that work on the Khmer
> curriculum, you cannot fault them for not accepting it blindly. When they do
> know the system you cannot blame them for finding it not the panacea to all
> educational problems.

I've been with you so far, but I *do* blame Javier for his ignorance
of and hostility to the XO. His massive ignorance and unreasoning
hostility, it seems from what he has written. There has been no
question of blind acceptance, nor of a panacea. (Pay attention to what
we say, Gerard.) The XO should be accepted because it works, and used
where appropriate. Based on fact, not unsupported opinion.

> When you are an "evangelist" for a cause, the first thing that you have to
> do is listen.

When you are attempting to be a mediator in a dispute, the first thing
you have to do is listen, or read, carefully enough to know what the
issues being disputed are. You have failed to do so. This thread began
when I responded to what Javier actually wrote.

> Listen, pay attention and explain how you bring educational good on earth.

What we have been doing, as you can read all over http://laptop.org.
Supported by facts. Including facts from testing in Cambodia.

The starting point of this discussion was Javier's rant against the
XO. thinly disguised as criticism. Well, of course, we have to assume
that he believed what he was writing, even though it was close to
complete nonsense, and not backed by facts.

> Even though you need to convert Javier to this "true belief"

Rubbish. Javier can believe what he likes, and do what he likes. This
isn't about me or my "needs".

The question is, who would like to join the Khmer localization project
for the XO that I have asked Sayamindu to create. See
http://dev.laptop.org/translate for the current set of languages

> of the XO you do a good job at convincing him of the opposite.

As I pointed out above, you are not paying attention. You seem to know
enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be helpful.

> When you are
> to evangelise the good cause, you should realise that it is not about you
> and what you think.

Excellent advice. You should take it.

> Thanks,
>      GerardM