[Localization] Haiti

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 03:26:49 EST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 1:29 PM, Marvin Demuth <marvindemuth at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Edward, a personal note:
>
> Your comment:
>
> >I'll go talk to my Haitian acquaintances.
> >
> >Can anybody tell us where in Haiti these XOs are going? Would any of
> >them be up in the hills where Partners in Health provides health care
> >for about a million of the poorest Haitians (which is saying
> >something)?
>
> I am very familiar with Haiti, having helped there since 1990, first in
> well-drilling and later with satellite communication.  I arranged Dr.
> Paul Farmer's first satellite communication in 1997 and his first broadband
> system in 2001 -- both in Cange.  I have maintained continuous contact
> with him since then.
>
> This project is going to have to have good organization and support in
> Haiti.  Otherwise, it will be a complete failure.
>
> I have my doubts that the Partners in Health organization has the time to
> take on the project.  Their responsibilities with health care in the Central
> Plateau of Haiti are tremendous.

I didn't expect them to take on the schools as well, although I expect
that they and their villagers can contribute health education
materials for use on other XOs. I was wondering whether XOs in schools
in their area could be adapted to medical record keeping using any of
the Free Software health care systems available, or whether we could
discuss telemedicine over XOs. OLPC has a quite substantial health
program already, with much more to come.

> I participated in the G1G1 program to the extent of four XOs,  I have received
> them.  I have been trying to figure out the best use for them.
>
> I have Haitian contacts with Windows computer experience and with
> knowledge of English, French and Creole.  One, Jude, who is now in the States
> is currently translating Biblical material into Creole.  Jude is the
> Haitian who told
> me he thought the education system leaders in Haiti would want the language
> to be French.

I expect that many education system leaders would like standard
French. That does not mean that OLPC will agree, or should agree. I
want to see every local language supported, and I believe that that
fits with the Constructionist educational philosophy.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/