[Localization] Fonts in XO

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Feb 6 05:20:33 EST 2008

> Hi,
> I managed to get XO (G1G1) and I am going to try my Telugu localization
> files in it.
> I was informed / thought  XO has already Telugu font in place.
> But if I open Pootle link in XO "Browse" activity, such as
> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/te/xo_core/chat-activity.po?translate=1&view=1
> <https://dev.laptop.org/translate/te/xo_core/chat-activity.po?translate=1&view=1>
> I do not see Telugu characters even after changing language to Telugu in
> sugar-control-panel.
> I can't see Hindi as well. I can see Bengali and Urdu fonts though.
> Do I need to manually install fonts? Does XO at the current build (656)
> not have all Indian fonts?

The XO software stack uses fontconfig, so the fc-list command will give
you the list of all fonts currently installed. (There are a few extra
fonts in the repositories that you can install using yum as well.)

From the terminal, simply create a ~/.fonts folder, then copy your fonts
to this folder.

What font did you have in mind?

BTW, we're looking at forming a ideal set of open fonts for each target
locale.

> Cheers,
> Satya.
>
> --