[Localization] Help with Arabic computers

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 10:57:31 EST 2008

Hi All,

Thanks to Marc and Martin for moving this forward. I'm pasting in a few
threads and adding localization list. Please use the list so I'm not a
bottle neck.

Osama,

Can you try this test described by Martin below? Let us know if the
question does not make sense.

On your e-mail:

How did you change to those fonts? Did you run the tests in our Write
program?

All,

At the bottom of the thread there is a request to setup an Arabic
Abiword on a PC running Linux to help separate "control" system which
isolates XO from non-XO issues.

Can anyone help do that?

Also, I created a feature page for this work at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Better_Arabic_Support

Khaled,

Can you add the relevant Arabic bugs from our Trac system there?

I don't think we have closed even the original two you mentioend long
ago. In any case, I want a single page where we list Abiword and
dev.laptop.org bugs. Any test cases could be recorded on that page if
they are not already in the bugs.

BTW I believe that we have all the people in place to test and fix
problems. We just need more project management help. Its not a technical
skill so anyone can help if you are organized and have a little time.
Send me an e-mail or reply on list and I'll work with you.

Thanks,

Greg S

***********
Guys, as a quick test case, I tried two different arabic fonts.

1) norasi
2) nafees

I tried the following word (dhahaba) (which means he went)as a simple test
case.

In arabic keyboard it is

bif

In norasi the shaping works fine, bit in nafees the "i" does not get shaped
with the rest of the word.

Another thing I tried the same word (dhahaba) but with soft vowels which
should be
bSQiSQfSQ

SQ represents the soft vowel (a)

It looks like in norasi it does it fine for the first letter and then there
is a glithc which brings the vowel to the bottom. You can try it out. Other
words worked fine I think, so it might be unique to the letter/font.

Osama
**********

Martin Sevior wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> I'm not surprised that happens if you type a western European language
> in RTL mode. Poor pango would be awfully confused...
>
> I've tried copy and pasting Arabic text from Arabic websites into the
> middle of Arabic text (also from Arabic websites) and it looks OK to
> my very, very untrained eye.
>
> Could somebody who understands a RTL language try changing the
> "normal" style to use the font Dejavu-sans and setting the alignment
> to to right aligned?
>
> You can change it via the format->styles dialog.
>
> Cheers
>
> Martin
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:10 PM, J.M. Maurer <uwog at uwog.net> wrote:
>> Did you actually try it? If I do, and try to insert text, it goes all
>> over the place (especially when inserting spaces)
>>
>>  Marc
>>
>> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 17:09 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
>>> Hi Marc,
>>>            Actually I think the bug is in the template files for
>>> arabic and other RTL languages. We explicitly set the text aligned to
>>> be left-aligned. The formatter needs to honour this request even for
>>> RTL languages because one can easily think of use cases where a RTL
>>> user wants to put text on the left side the document, like English
>>> speakers have the need for right-aligned text.
>>>
>>> Here is the template for  normal.awt-ar (Arabic locale)
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>> <styles>
>>> <s type="P" name="Normal" basedon="" followedby="Current Settings"
>>> props="font-family:Times New Roman; margin-top:0pt;
>>> font-variant:normal; margin-left:0pt; text-indent:0in; widows:2;
>>> font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; text-decoration:none;
>>> color:000000; line-height:1.0; text-align:left; margin-bottom:0pt;
>>> text-position:normal; margin-right:0pt; bgcolor:transparent;
>>> font-size:12pt; font-stretch:normal"/>
>>> </styles>
>>> <pagesize pagetype="A4" orientation="portrait" width="210.000000"
>>> height="297.000000" units="mm" page-scale="1.000000"/>
>>> <section props="page-margin-right:1.0000in;
>>> page-margin-footer:0.5000in; page-margin-header:0.5000in;
>>> page-margin-left:1.0000in; page-margin-top:1.0000in;