[Localization] Arabic in 8.2

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Aug 29 14:21:11 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 09:26:49AM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Hi Khaled,
>
> We are having a hard time confirming Arabic support in 8.2. If it
> doesn't make the release I will keep pushing for it as a high priority
> in the next release: 8.2.1.
>
> I know that you reported some serious regressions recently. Do you have
> a sense of where we are with Arabic at this time?
>
> We are close to releasing another image as a release candidate,
> hopefully this week.
>
> I believe we can get bug 6800 included in that build (Marco or Simon,
> can you confirm?).
>
> Will you still have time to test the next release for Arabic when its
> ready? If you can do another summary of the main issues that would be a
> big help.

I think after getting #6800 into the build, and applying the patch in #7921,
The only remaining major issues are icon mirroring (#6562) and better
Arabic fonts (I just filed #8221) for it.

> Can you also get us in contact with more people who can help test these
> images? I want to have some backup people available in case you run out
> of time.

I think I can do some testing during the next month too. I'll try to
contact people who have expressed interest in testing Arabic support and
will CC you, you can also try to contact people at Arabeyes.org mailing
lists and you might find some interested people there.

> Thanks a lot for your help. I hope you wont be discouraged if we need
> more time to get this right. The challenge is that changing the code to
> make Arabic work well may destabilize other parts of the code. That's
> not an insurmountable issue but it may cause us to delay until 8.2.1 to
> get it right.

I understand this.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team