[Localization] Arabic in 8.2

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:53:22 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>
>> Greg Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Khaled,
>>>
>>> We are having a hard time confirming Arabic support in 8.2. If it doesn't
>>> make the release I will keep pushing for it as a high priority in the next
>>> release: 8.2.1.
>>>
>>> I know that you reported some serious regressions recently. Do you have a
>>> sense of where we are with Arabic at this time?
>>>
>>> We are close to releasing another image as a release candidate, hopefully
>>> this week.
>>>
>>> I believe we can get bug 6800 included in that build (Marco or Simon, can
>>> you confirm?).
>>
>> Yes the journal package is built. It only needs to be tagged in the build.
>
> Probably Greg is referring to the RTL issue here. We have a patch for it.
> Sayamindu was going to add another serious i18n issue to the same patch. As
> soon as that's done, we need Michael to get it in joyride.

Marco, I think the present patch can go in. Adding the GTK_IM_MODULE
variable for rainbow to export does not solve the problem I am seeing,
and there seems to be all sort of weirdness in Write's behaviour. I'm
looking into the issues, but there is no point in holding up this
patch for me to figure out Write and rainbows interaction (I say this
because if I remove /etc/olpc-security, Write becomes well behaved
again).

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--