[Localization] Languages in 8.2

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 09:20:21 EDT 2008

Hi Sayamindu,

Thanks for the info.

- On synchronizing the doc the text in language tab.
I don't want to create a lot of extra work. Perhaps just listing the
root language is enough. Stretch goal would be to list all the variants
and include a note saying that they all use the same root translation.

- On keyboards, "Are the Spanish and Portuguese keyboard layouts country
specific ?".
I'm not completely sure what you are asking. Are you wondering if they
can use the Argentina keyboard in Peru? Do we know who put that list of
keyboards there? I think Kim knows the full keyboard story so I can
follow up with her if no one else has the definitive answer.

- On the list of languages.
Can you edit the release notes to make it crystal clear which languages
come inside the image and which are only available as language packs? We
can add a link to the language pack doc page too.

I hope a user in Mongolia (or wherever) knows exactly what they is in an
image when they download the new release. If they need to download a
language pack too that is OK as long as we tell them in advance.

BTW we should probably translate the release notes in to as many
languages as possible. Don't start on that yet as I have some more edits
to make but we should get ready to do that around mid-September if possible.

Thanks,

Greg S