[Localization] Fructose 8.2 some activities have not been branched

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 06:33:22 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 18:41, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I noticed that Calculate and Pippy have not been branched in repository
> while other Fructose 8.2 activities were.
> Actually, when I pushed translations for Calculate of Fructose82 on Pootle,
> that was committed to master.
> (http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/calculate;a=commit;h=61f083e43e176d6cc92dc2213614e9209eebb3b9)
>
> Please fix it if we really want to branch activities..
> Or can we really maintain them simultaneously?

Reinier's branched Calculate. I pinged Chris Ball (pippy).

> Besides that, how will we identify version of both trunk and branch
> version of activities?
> Version number for activities is not like "Major.Minor" but just
> integer (until now at least).
> The scheme seems not good fit for branching.

I've raised this several times, and there have been proposals for
"major.minor", and for supporting the versioning that rpm uses
(alphanumeric) - the point being that there needs to be a way to
compare two versions and decide which one is later. I think the rpm
versioning was favoured because there is existing code which handles
those. However, I don't think the conversation was captured in Trac. I
think Greg was going to log it but I can't find the ticket. I've now
logged #8144.

A workaround was suggested to abuse the current version numbers by
treating 100 as if it was 1.00, and leaving a gap for stable releases
- e.g. Chat-45 in sucrose-0.82, so use Chat-50 or Chat-100 for the
next release off master and Chat-46 for the next release of
sucrose-0.82.

For installing the appropriate version on the appropriate build, the
control panel activity updater in joyride/8.2 can track an update_url
which can specify which activity version is appropriate for which
build stream - e.g. Chat-45 is the latest for 8.2.0, and Chat-47 is
the latest for 8.2.1, and Chat-53 is the latest for 9.1.0... but this
doesn't solve all the cases where we may want to differentiate the
releases in a clearly visible way.

Regards
Morgan