[Localization] Electricity for Haitian Schools

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 18 00:23:35 EDT 2008

"Edward Cherlin" <echerlin at gmail.com> writes:

> OK, but how many is that? How many students altogether?

This will be 5 EFACAP, 12 school per EFACAP = 60 schools.
Given that the deployment is for 13700 XOs, an average of
~230 students is expected (though I have no idea whether
this will be equally distributed over the schools...)

>>> What do they need powered besides laptops? We can get Engineers
>>> Without Borders on this.
>>
>> Do you know people from EWB already working in Haiti?
>
> I can find some. Here you go.
>
> http://www.ewb-sfp.org/projects/haiti/team.html
> http://www.tc.umn.edu/~ewb/projects_haiti.php
> http://news.mst.edu/news/2008/EWB-Haiti.html
> http://www.zango.com/results.aspx?ct=200&search=haiti
>
> Hey! Engineers without Borders Solar School Project in Haiti.
> http://www.zango.com/Destination/Catalog/Play/Play.aspx?pid=572407

Thanks a lot for the links.

The last link says I need "Microsoft Internet Explorer or Firefox 1.5 or
higher".  I use Firefox 3.0 and I don't understand what's wrong.

>> If so, can you send me the contact information in private?
>
> I'm talking with them about a different sort of project from what they
> are used to. I want to tackle renewable power for XOs worldwide, not
> just one location at a time. When we get this organized, I'll let
> everybody know.

Ok.  I think our needs are so urgent that these kinds of solutions might
come later to make the project even more sustainable.  We currently need
to make is _possible_.  For this I rely on the local coordinator, he has
a strong sense of what is immediately doable (or not...)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted about this issue - thanks again,

--
Bastien