[Localization] Spanish variations

Nicholas Bodley nbodley at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 15 13:28:36 EDT 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:57:26 -0400, Andres Cabrera <mantaraya36 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What should I do when I find a string in pootle which has different
> usages in different spanish speaking countries? I was about to translate
> "Joke
> Machine" as "Máquina de chistes", which is what would be used in
> Colombia, but I'm pretty certain it would sound strange in Peru and
> Uruguay. Is there any way to make variations on some of the strings from
> a common base?

> Cheers,
> Andrés

Perhaps it's not a helpful idea, but I think that some Spanish-language
newspapers in Latin America need to use a vocabulary that's understood in
many countries. (To a much-lesser extent, it seems, British and American
vocabularies differ slightly; I really doubt, for instance, that most
Americans would know what a "lorry" is. The BBC English-language World
Service (and probably Newshour) broadcasts in the USA use terms familiar
to Americans.)

Hope this helps, just a little bit.

Best regards,

--