[Localization] code comments?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Apr 5 03:31:30 EDT 2008

... which reminds me: Is it possible in gettext to fall back on a
language other than English when a translation for some phrase cannot
be found? That would be a useful feature I think, as long as there are
programs that are not fully translated (which will happen very often).

- Bert -

On 05.04.2008, at 07:55, info at olpc-peru.info wrote:
> [...]
>> especially if it happens in the hinge language.
>>
>> One concept I have been toying with is that msgid be referred to
>> with an
>> univocal referent, like a database pointer, not with an English
>> phrase.
>> The pointers would point to the English phrase in a similar structure
>> that they would point to any language phrase in any language.
>> ex.gr., BS07.en would be 'copy' and BS07.de would be 'Kopieren' and
>> BS07.es 'copiar'.  There would be another instance of 'copy' that
>> would
>> be BS68.en, with a BS68.de translation as 'kopiere dich', and as many
>> instances as actual phrases happen in each context in the software,
>> even
>> if apparently they are the same in English.  Reference pointer
>> would be
>> a number, or a construct that indicates package, class name, etc,
>> in the
>> software, and as add-on extension during execution (?) the language
>> code.  Thus very little data could hold enormous amount of different
>> possible languages.
>>
>> That would not solve all problems, since English IS the default
>> development language, yet English is somewhat poor in declensions and
>> all those funny endings that bring so much joy to many other
>> languages
>> (Aymara is ripe with that) thus at the development stage it might
>> not be
>> noticed that a given term has to be contextualized.  Also, still the
>> translator needs to know what sort of context the term is used in,
>> which
>> is not necessarily evident.
>>
>> I do not know if this is even feasible at this stage of the game.
>> While
>> it would make all sort of localization issues much easier, it would
>> require a deep-down digging into the code.
>>
>> In the long term it would be more than worth it, since maintenance
>> and
>> further translations would bypass this kind of issues.
>>
>> Yama
>>
>> Kent Loobey wrote:

>>> I considered putting a number with each comment and then in a
>>> separate file
>>> putting a description for each number.  However I think it would
>>> be better if
>>> the translated descriptions are inserted directly into the code
>>> where they
>>> apply.
>>>
>>> A localization pre-processor might be run to insert translated
>>> text into the
>>> activity/program.  I haven't done this myself but I know there are
>>> commenting
>>> techniques that allow text to be pulled from programs to create a
>>> form of
>>> rudimentary documentation.  Maybe we could do something along
>>> those lines and
>>> then reverse the process and insert the translated text back into
>>> program.  Maybe only """ commented text """ text would be