[Localization] [Etoys] Fwd: Pootle now fully open for translation

Yuan Chao yuanchao at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 10:49:06 EST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 9:38 AM, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Among several other languages Kantonese or Yue is considered to be zh-CN as
> well as Mandarin is considered zh-CN. There are many characters in Kantonese
Hong Kong people use traditional Chinese characters as Taiwan people
do. Though for some terminology they use is close to "unsimplified"
version of zh-CN due to historical reasons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Hong_Kong

Taking wikipedia for example, originally there's only "traditional
Chinese" and "simplified Chinese" version with an auto-conversion
table. (though not perfect) Now, there are zh_TW, zh_CN, zh_HK/MK,
zh_SG/MK four versions in which zh_TW, zh_HK/MK use traditional
Chinese characters and zh_CN, zh_SG/MK use simplified Chinese.

If you reads Chinese, maybe you can take a look here:
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E7%B9%81%E7%AE%80%E5%A4%84%E7%90%86

> that are not used for Mandarin. When you want the code to be  unambiguous,
> you should use a code that actually IS unambigious. That would make it
> zh-cmn-Hant and zh-cmn-Hans. Because typically Mandarin is implied when zh
> is used but it is not a given.
Ya. Just for my own understanding, the locale codes currently used are
still zh_CN, zh_TW, ...

--
Best regards,
Yuan Chao