[Localization] wiki localization

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:41:12 EST 2007

(I made a wiki page but do not have my password with me so will have to
upload the pdf a different time -
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wiki_localization)

Here's a pdf that pinpoints the process for doing the compare merge function
in MS Word 2003. This might come in handy when working with translators who
may feel most comfortable with MS Word.

To review, the idea was to see if there may be a way to make a weekly
snapshot of the wiki page, by copying and pasting into word, so that
translators would have a reference point, and be able to use track changes
to determine what has changed since the last time the wiki page was
modified. This would make it a lot easier on translators, and would be a
step towards building more robust functionality into wiki that it doesn't
have yet. There is the x-diff but for minor changes it could be quite
difficult for a translator to keep up.

As per the original discussion in IRC when we had the related mtg, the other
part that would need to be developed would be to explore if there's any open
source utilities or plug-ins or functionality in google docs, zoho write, or
open office, which would allow people to do the same.

To be clear, I am *not* advocating being tied to commercial software, just
found this file I had made on my computer at work, and trying to be helpful
in the process of empowering the wiki to be a translation/localization
management platform, as it is, and to make it as easy as possible for
translators to do this.

--
Todd Kelsey

Good Green Fun: http://www.cftw.com/xoroids/

Willy Wonka Wonderful! - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:StartOfMP.jpg

Love Poem for people of Middle East: http://welcome.cftw.com

Tour of laptop | http://wiki.laptop.org/go/608-demo-notes

About Me/CFTW | http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en">
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhbxftbn_35f5b46b&hl=en

Loving the World | http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhbxftbn_36cx4kj7

"Fascinating for me to sit here and realize the interplay and influence that
music can have -- it is a part of my life, yet I haven't continued as I
could, partly out of thinking "there are more important things". but it has
it's place. i am sitting at olpc offices, and someone is playing pink floyd,
and I think music is a gift of creativity that can inspire an atmosphere of
creativity, and the range of such echoes is infinite." - Me

Free tunes by me: http://www.cftw.com/music