[Localization] Localization update

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Fri Jun 22 16:48:38 EDT 2007

OLPC is handling of downstream localization through Fedora's managemnet
system.  There's a Summer of code student working on this; to improve
interfaces across the project.
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_Translations

Please update and comment on that page, and update your activities
accordingly.

1. Marco and Blizzard at RedHat is tracking how this is progressing In a
week or so I hear from J5 there will be automated incorporation of newly
posted translations that are filed in olpc's trac -- marco, can you
describe how this will work?  What kinds of statistics will we have of
l10n completion?

2. Noah noted earlier that cmlenz has been working on a Babel Python
library for localization; Christopher, can you write a bit on the olpc
wiki about how to use this in coordination with the other parts of our
l10n process?
    http://www.cmlenz.net/blog/2007/06/announcing_babe.html

3. We should have a regular l10n discussion or review; we had a short irc
meeting a few days ago, and discussed having another one early next week.
(at first we talked about Sunday afternoon, but most people can't make it
then).  Would Tuesday afternoon/evening EST work?  These could be 10-15min
meetings.
    We just need regular l10n reviews of activities, so that we can fill in
the "l10n" column on the [[activities]] page on the olpc wiki with
something like a status update.  Not only % completion of translating a
pot file, but success of scoping l10n needs -- textual, image-related, and
otherwise -- for the activity and our target audiences.

Cheers,
   SJ

PS - l10n is about accessibility.  We need something similar for
accessibility in general, other than language-based accessibility --
but that's a topic for another email thread, and perhaps another list.  Is
there a fedora accessibility list we could mine for input about what is
most important and how we could get regular feedback for new activities
and builds?