[Localization] introduction and comments

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Wed Dec 19 17:04:21 EST 2007

My name is Alexander Dupuy, and I just signed up as a volunteer
translator for the XO Pootle.

Although I'm a native English speaker, I am pretty fluent in Spanish,
having lived in Guatemala for several years, and worked on some
translation project while I was there.  I also have some French and a
little Portuguese, but these seem to be pretty well covered already, so
I'll probably stick to Spanish translations.  My home workstation
(Fedora 7) runs in Spanish localization so I have a fair amount of
exposure to technical Spanish on a day to day basis (although perhaps
this is not such a good thing :-).

I ran through the "Terminology" list for Pootle suggestions - and have
noticed that there are some messages that are translated more completely
(or accurately) in the Update 1 files but where Terminology hasn't been
updated.  Is there any way to automatically highlight / review strings
from Terminology that also appear (exactly) in other .po files to check
these for consistency?  I certainly appreciate the desire for
consistency as I find it mildly annoying that on my workstation, one
third of the services shut down "Parando" another third "Deteniendo" and
another third in English...most of the time it is less noticeable since
the different applications message don't appear right next to each other.

Although I was able to edit the Terminology stuff freely, I don't seem
to be able to do anything more than "Suggest" on the Update 1 files and
there is no indication that my suggestions actually were recorded (not
that I saw anyhow).  Is this expected, are there rights my Pootle
account (Dupuy) needs to be given to do more?

I'm a software developer and know from experience how incomprehensible
messages in programs can be, even in their native English.  So (although
it is a lower priority) I would like to suggest that there also be an
English localization that would allow localization efforts to improve
the comprehensibility of the messages in English as well as other
languages. I realize that English may not be a target language for OLPC,
but especially with G1G1 and perhaps some countries like Nigeria there
will be English speaking children who use the XO.

As an example of the kind of thing where this would be useful, I saw the
following in the sugar.po Spanish translation:

Keep error: all changes will be lost           Guardar el error: se
perderán todos los cambios

the problem here is that the developer is thinking of "Keep" as an
application, and uses it as a sort of adjective to modify the noun
"error."  The translator (and any English-speaking child, and probably,
most adults) takes "keep" as a verb, and misunderstands the message
entirely, which could better be translated into non-technical English as
"Failed to keep (data): all changes will be lost" or something more like
that.  These kinds of poor wording choices are most common in error
messages that are rarely seen except in the source code, but can occur
anywhere.  Ultimately, the problem is that developers think about a
program in one way, but users think about it in another; one can try to
educate the developers :-) but there are limits to what can be
accomplished.  Having a child-friendlier English translation of their
"technical English" messages can help to bridge the gap (and provide
useful context for translators into other languages).

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com