[Localization] The virtue of being fuzzy...

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Dec 4 17:41:18 EST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007, at 22:02 , Xavier Alvarez wrote:
> We have to keep in mind that our main target is waaaay off the
> "usual L10n target population". In other words, many translations
> can hedge on the 'background noise' produced by media exposure
> and some level tech savvyness from the intended reader.

IMHO we are obliged to invent native terms for any tech phrases. Our
target group are kids just learning to read.

Having English terms sprinkled throughout the experience is terrible.
I see this with my own kids, who struggle a lot when reading stuff
off product packaging, ads, etc.

And even although those English terms seem very appropriate and
untranslatable to us adults, and using native terms seems very
awkward, it is only a question of familiarization with these new,
native terms.

For example, in Germany many very old terms from computing do have a
German equivalent, and are even preferred or at least used
interchangeably with their English counterparts. But more recent
terms are not translated anymore, they are simply adopted. E.g.,
"Festplatte" is a direct translation of "hard disk" and in general
use, but it would never have a chance to get adopted nowadays (its
literal back-translation would be something like "feasting-plate").

The XO should come with a manual that defines those terms, written by
someone who is a language expert rather than a computing expert. Are
there any plans in this direction?

- Bert -