[Localization] The virtue of being fuzzy...

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 08:15:05 EST 2007

Carlo,

On Monday 03 December 2007 16:09, Carlo Falciola wrote:
CF> Xavier,
CF> I completely agree with you regarding the need of
CF> discussing at least some terms:
CF> my very first candidate is "Mesh Network" also to rule
CF> out if needed not to translate those "critical" terms.

Personally I've translated it as "Red Malla" or "Red en/de Malla"
which is a bit redundant. When in doubt, I usually hit Wikipedia
and then follow the links into Spanish...

CF> Another topic that I think needs a "global" approach
CF> is "Journal" and even more "keep" related to the
CF> journal itself.

I *strongly* recommend every translator to read the OLPC Human
Interface Guidelines [1]. That way you will always be better
prepared to translate the *meaning*.

For example, in the Journal section, it states that:

"The traditional "open" and "save" model commonly used for files
will fade into abstraction ... a much more general notion of what
it means to want to keep things prevails." [2]

For me that implies that whenever I encounter a "save" in the
original text, it should be translated as a "keep" because the
intended user experience deprecates the concept of "saving a
file" (developers don't always follow the HIG ;)

Cheers,
Xavier

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/HIG
[2]