[LB-XO-LiveCD] Ver 8.2 November 12th 2008

wolfgang mail at rohrmoser-engineering.de
Fri Nov 21 11:46:44 EST 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008, misc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried to test the XO's Live CD.
>
> I started with the one release on November 12th 2008. The System was
> starting till the momen a white screene appeared with an black X. Then
> the system stopped. the Cursor could be moved by the mouse, that's all.

it would be helpful to know your hardware ...

> Then I tried the Spetember releases (both 2nd and 19th). They are
> working fine (although my display is not set up correctly. its working
> with 1024x786 instead of 1440x990 (unknown display adaptor)
>
> when i checked the boot screen I found 2 differences:
>
> the November release is base on kernel 2.6.26.6 instead of 2.6.24.7
> In the line loading essential kernel modules it says somwhat [5.216667]
> ide io not free 0x1f0-0x1f7 and 0x170-0x177

this is not related to the graphic problem. It does not harm :)

> Is this a known problem? Any fixes yet?

Sorry this problem is not known yet.
If you press <F1> on the initial boot screen you will get some help. If
you continue with <F2> then you will find the text:

----------------------------------
   hints to solve problems:

    (1) System is booting, but X11-server fails to start:

       * Select language/keyboard and press <TAB> to see the boot options.
         Append "x11-fedora", "vesa-generic" or "x11-auto" to the
         option list and try if one choice works for you.

    (2) Could I start the CD on a computer with only 256MB of RAM

       * Change the boot option:  "lb_aufs=auto:356M"  -> "lb_aufs=auto:200M"

    (3) I get: ERROR: no backup media found, stopped ...

       * sorry, but your hardware seems not to work yet. Please try to use
         another computer.

can you please try (1) and report your experience.

> How can i set my display to the correct resolution?

there is a currently unsupported approach:

1.  open the terminal activity
2.  cd /mnt/media/RPMs-extra/
3.  sudo rpm -i *.rpm
4.  system-config-display

thanks for your support to improve the LiveCD

Wolfgang