[linux-mm-cc] Compcache warnings on ia64.

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 05:59:18 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Nitin Gupta <nitingupta910 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  I also got a crash on Gutsy-ia64, although that could well be related
>  >  to faulty CD media, or perhaps Gutsy does not swap out ram disk pages
>
>  If you can somehow get that crash message, it will help a lot in
>  debugging. But it seems like ubuntu is not flushing these messages to
>  log?

This was on a LiveCD, there is no log. I had the tracker and user
applet crash before I started messing around with compcache. It didn't
crash until I had used 500MB of swap, so it is likely not compcache
related.

FYI, I have attempted (and failed) to reproduce the original crash on
VirtualBox with Hardy (Alpha 4) and 192MB of ram. Hardy was using
enough memory that I could not swap off /dev/sda5. However I cycled
between compcache and sda5 several times using the following script

 swapon /dev/compcache && echo BOTH &&
 sleep 1 &&
 swapoff /dev/sda5/ && echo CC &&
 sleep 1
 swapon /dev/compcache && echo BOTH &&
 sleep 1 &&
 swapoff /dev/compcache && echo HDD

This was pushing about 50MB of swap between hdd and cc each time,
giving cc plenty of opertunity to crash. However it all worked
correctly.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student