[linux-mm-cc] Announce: ccache release 0.1

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 07:06:50 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 4:03 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 6:39 AM, Nitin Gupta <nitingupta910 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some performance numbers for allocator and de/compressor can be found
> > on project home. Currently it is tested on Linux kernel 2.6.23.x and
> > 2.6.25-rc2 (x86 only). Please mail me/mailing-list any
> > issues/suggestions you have.
>
> It caused Gutsy (2.6.22-14-generic) to crash when I did a swap off of
> my hdd swap. I have a GB of ram, so I would have been fine without
> ccache.

These days "desktops with small memory" probably means virtual
machines with, say, <512M RAM :-)

> I had swapped on a 400MB ccache swap.

I need /var/log/messages (or whatever file kernel logs to in Gutsy) to
debug this.
Please send it to me offline if its too big.

> BTW, why is the default 10% of mem?

I have no great justification for "10%".

> This refers to the size of the
> block device right? So even 100% would probably only use 50% of
> physical memory for swap, assuming a 2:1 compression ratio.

Yes, this is correct.

Thanks,
- Nitin